500g desiree potatoes
2 eggs, separated
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
100g diced ham
200g cubed mozzarella
250g bread crumbs
500ml vegetable oil
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Leave to cool slightly, then peel and press through a ricer while still hot.
- When cool, transfer it to a large bowl and add the egg yolks, parmesan, pecorino, parsley, ham, salt, pepper and mix to combine.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and form it into a long fat finger shape.
- Push a cube of mozzarella into the middle and close the mixture over.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place into the egg then into bread crumbs. Repeat till all complete.
- Heat a deep frying pan with vegetable oil; make sure the oil is not smoking. Cook the croquettes in batches, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Serve as they are or topped with grated parmesan. They can also be eaten cold.